TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Using Comcast to Host Web Site

Re: Using Comcast to Host Web Site

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. (spamtrap100@comcast.net)
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:50:27 -0600

autogoor@yahoo.com wrote:

> I developed a web site and would like to host it with my own computer
> at home. I am thinking using Comcast Cable broadband as my ISP. Does
> Comcast allow web host? Anyone has experience? Anyone has any other ISP
> suggestions? I am in California.

You really need to reconsider. I gave up hosting on my own computer
several years ago. There was a literally continuous stream of attacks
from around the world. Even though I was using a Linux based machine
as my host, it was still a pain to review the logs and keep up with
all the patches. I shudder to think what it would be like on a Windows
machine.

Comcast used to ban hosting on local machines. Don't know if they've
relaxed that or not.

Comcast does allocate some web space for home users on their servers,
but you do have to go to the control panel and activate it. Not sure
what their rules are regarding business use and the amount of
bandwidth they permit though.

I would recommend a hosting company like www.1and1.com. They sell very
reliable low volume web hosting for a few dollars a month. No security
hassles and they have really easy upgrades for bandwidth and space if
you need it.

(No connection, no referral -- just a satisfied customer.)

Go to Next message: T. Sean Weintz: "Re: Using Comcast to Host Web Site"
Go to Previous message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Where to Buy a Cellular Phone Jammer?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page