TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Monitor/Recorder for Residential Power Line Outages?

Re: Monitor/Recorder for Residential Power Line Outages?

AES (siegman@stanford.edu)
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:33:28 -0700

Multiple mea culpas or brain glitches of my own to apologize for:

>> In article <telecom24.275.11@telecom-digest.org>,
>> bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

>>> It should be obvious that any such device will need to be powered by
>>> some sort of UPS. Whereupon you may as well use a UPS. <grin>

I missed (or misinterpreted) the <grin>.

>> In my household the built-in wall oven apparently has a built-in
>> battery;

> Usually a 'super-cap', rather than a real battery.

Makes sense, and adds a small item to my EE education.

>> Most annoying is the expensive, highly touted Bose radio: it loses all
>> its settings -- time, station presets, etc -- on even the slightest
>> power glitch. (Lots of other things not to like about this overpriced
>> radio as well -- DON'T BUY BOSE is my recommendation.)

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Now wait a minute! I have a Bose radio
>> and that does not happen. The radio has a battery compartment which
>> keeps everything in place. The battery does _not_ continue to play
>> the radio, but when our power goes out here, I do not have to reset
>> the clock or the presets, etc. Do you have a battery in your Bose
>> radio? PAT]

> Depends on the model, Pat. Bose does make more than one. ;)

On closer inspection mine does have 9 V battery backup -- and the
battery was dead. (My radio is installed in a tight space, hard to
pull it very far out, and I missed the battery compartment on the
bottom.)

Still seems to have poor FM reception however. Adjusting the antenna
that came with it to all possible positions never gets clear reception
of a weak local station that a $25 armband sport radio with no antenna
brings in with no trouble.

Go to Next message: Al Gillis: "Re: XO Communications"
Go to Previous message: Choreboy: "Re: DSL Speed"
May be in reply to: AES: "Monitor/Recorder for Residential Power Line Outages?"