TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Microwave Fading 6 Gig

Re: Microwave Fading 6 Gig

HarryHydro (harryhydro@hotmail.com)
13 Jun 2005 11:03:59 -0700

GlowingBlueMist wrote:

> HarryHydro <harryhydro@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Hi Folks:

>> I wrote a qbasic program that scans 4 Alcatel radios. It also
>> pages me on problems. I was called almost 10 times around 1:30AM this
>> morning (6/9/05) and again around 4:00AM even more times! My heel are
>> draggin'. Anyway, this has been going on for the last few days.
>> These are not stormy evenings, or even windy. In the plots this
>> program makes, I see signals dropping, or maybe it's noise level
>> increasing, enough to break microwave paths. This is 6gig stuff ... The
>> 4 radios at this site point in different directions, and the radios
>> almost go wacky the same time, but not exactly. For a half hour, the
>> signal on one radio faded to almost break while the others were doing
>> OK. Sometimes the two receivers on one radio will fade together,
>> sometimes not. (diversity) I've associated some of these to mag
>> storms, but most are weather related. However, these last few days
>> have been pretty stable.

>> Could it be temperature inversions at 1:30 in the morning doing this?

>> Harry

> I don't know about your location but when I was monitoring microwave
> sites for the military in Germany, most of the temperature inversion
> problems we ran into was in the early morning. The hills would cool
> off but the valleys would hold the heat unless a breeze was blowing.
> As you have already identified, the fact that your diversity beams
> tend to drop out at slightly different times helps to point to a
> temperature inversion problem if weather was ruled out.

> We did tend to have one other problem with fighter aircraft using our
> towers as practice targets. Either the bulk of the aircraft
> themselves or the aircraft electronic systems would drop the link as
> they came in for the final run.

Hi: Thanks for the reply:

I'm in Jersey. Our microwave runs out of Southern Pennsylvania, into
Jersey, then out Northern PA. Hills all over. We're having all kinds
of MW problems this morning, but this time signals look good, but
maybe multipath. Plus, there is a rather long Magnetic storm
happening. It's slowly clearing up, at the same time everyone is
trying to 'fix' it..;-)

Take Care!

Hydro

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "Internet Boom Alters Political Process in Iran"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"
May be in reply to: HarryHydro: "Microwave Fading 6 Gig"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page