TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites

Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites

Barry Margolin (
Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:26:51 -0400

In article <>, (Thor
Lancelot Simon) wrote:

> In article <>,
> Gary Novosielski <> wrote:

>> Fred Atkinson wrote:

>>> Sorry to come down on you this hard, but limiting student access to
>>> information simply because we think they don't 'need' access to it is
>>> a pretty short sighted opinion for an educator to take.

>> You're presuming that it's educators who are in favor of blocking
>> technology, but I think that's jumping to an unsupported conclusion.

> As both an educator and a student, I am, in fact, in favor of
> "blocking technology". The last thing I need is students distracted
> by more crap on their laptops while I'm lecturing -- and the last
> thing I need, as a student, is more distraction.

What does this have to do with technology being used in the
appropriate place, like a library?

You don't want students doing other things when they're supposed to be
listening to you. That's not particular to technology -- before IM,
you'd have had to deal with kids passing paper notes between each

Barry Margolin,
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: From our Archives: History of Standard Oil and Bell System"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"