TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: From our Archives: History of Standard Oil and Bell System

Re: From our Archives: History of Standard Oil and Bell System

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:46:53 -0700

Justin Time wrote:

> The AMOCO label has been gone from the Chicago area for several years.

> They're all BP now.

> And every time I see a BP station I think back to Dick Martin and "You
> bet your bippee!"

When I used to work at a BP station I jokingly called them the Big
Prices Oil Company.

The amusing and highly ironic thing about my nickname is that BP
bought Atlantic Richfield in 2000. ARCO's stations are positioned as
price leaders. In fact, only Valero (another discount brand, owned by
Diamond Shamrock) matches BP's prices at the ARCO stations in this
area. Chevron is far and away the most expensive gas station chain in
SoCal. Often the local Chevron is 10-15c/gal more expensive than a
nearby ARCO.

JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"
Go to Previous message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Can You Disable Text Messaging?"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "From our Archives: History of Standard Oil and Bell System"