TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can You Disable Text Messaging?

Re: Can You Disable Text Messaging?

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:07:20 -0400

Joseph wrote:

>> That's interesting. Both Verizon and Sprint have disabled SMS
>> completely when I requested it. Why can't T-Mobile?

> Maybe it has to do with the way GSM works. You didn't mention AT&T
> Wireless or Cingular. SMS is part of the GSM spec. I don't know if
> that's the case with CDMA.

It is, but can be inhibited if need be. I have to say, SMS seems to
be GSM's achilles' heel. A lot of signalling functions on GSM appear
to be handled by thinly vieled SMS messages, stuff that would be
handled on a more formal level in CDMA through the paging channel.
I'm willing to bet that T-Mobile is unwilling to fully disable SMS on
an account because in many markets, they still use it for voicemail
and other notifications.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: From our Archives: History of Standard Oil and Bell System"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Why There Are Questions About GoDaddy"
May be in reply to: John Mayson: "Can You Disable Text Messaging?"