TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Neat New Satellite Map Program

Re: Neat New Satellite Map Program

Charles Cryderman (Charles.Cryderman@globalcrossing.com)
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:03:56 -0400

In TD V24 #243 Brad quoted our esteem moderator:

>> It consists of streaming realtime video captured by satellites as they
>> fly around everywhere."

Then stated:

> Not exactly, Pat. The images are not live (try looking at night or on a
> cloudy day and you will get the same image). You are getting them from
> their server, so it is not limited by what can be stored on a CD or DVD.
> You can look on the Keyhole.com site for the date and resolution of the
> images. Most are within the last 2 years.

I don't think the last two years are even correct on how recent these
images are. The view of my home in White Lake Township, Michigan is
much older then that and is the exact same view I got when Map Quest
provided free satellite photos. In it I see my 1964 Dodge Dart parked
in front of the house when it has been parked on the side for years
now (no extra cash or time to get it ready for the road again). Also
my son's high school is still under construction, yet it has been open
for three years.

Chip Cryderman

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A very good point! I have to wonder
why they are charging for views like that? And the PRO version of the
software is even more expensive. PAT]

Go to Next message: Lisa Hancock: "Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"
Go to Previous message: Carl Moore: "Apparent Junk Mail"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Neat New Satellite Map Program"