TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

Re: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

Tim@Backhome.org
Fri, 27 May 2005 19:12:14 -0700

Robert Bonomi wrote:

> In article <telecom24.228.14@telecom-digest.org>,

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: City of Chicago used DC power (rather
>> than AC) -- at least in the downtown area -- until sometime around
>> 1930. That's at least one reason why there were so many WUTCO clocks
>> everywhere, instead of 'regular' wall clocks. Clocks cannot run on
>> direct current; they require alternating current at 60 cycles.

> I wonder what they did in territory where the generated A.C. power was
> at 25 cycles.

When did they deliver AC at 25 cycles? I do recall some 50 cycle
companies around that had to change after the end of WWII.

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"
Go to Previous message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Packet8 DTMF Tones Sound "Clipped""
TELECOM Digest: Home Page