TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Spam Hits Us Hard Today - Message Losses

Spam Hits Us Hard Today - Message Losses

TELECOM Digest Editor (ptownson@telecom-digest.org)
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:49:02 EDT

Ordinarily either Lisa Minter or myself get in here and flush the spam
queue a few times daily. Then we go through the 'regular' file of
'good' incoming mail and sort through it, since about 80-90 percent of
the stuff in the 'good' mail file is also spam which managed to not
trip the Spam Assassin rules. Then we move the 'good' stuff into a
protected area where it is stored until the next issue comes out. But
from the last issue of the Digest on Wednesday through the present
time, neither of us came in to do the usual flush, consequently there
were several hundred spams in the so- called 'good' file today. And in
the middle of them, here and there, the legitimate emails. Unfortunatly,
the good stuff got flushed with the volumes of spam today by accident.
What you see in this issue is _all we have left_ of the good stuff.
If you wrote to the Digest anytime since Wednesday night; you got an
autoack and _do not_ see your email in this issue, then please
resubmit it.

There *has to be* a better way of sorting out the spam. I have the
trigger set now at 2 (according to Spam Assassin, 5 is average for
most users), but I just do not feel I can go any lower than 2; there
is too much stuff otherwise hitting the spam bucket; I use the very
old 'mail' from 1993 with Unix here; I wish there were someway to
see entire screens full of stuff and be able to dismiss it with a
single keystroke instead of the 3-4 keystrokes needed at present.
Anyway, if your message from (probably during the day) Thursday is
not shown here, then sorry, I don't have it. Resubmit it please.

Patrick Townson