TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?

Re: USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?

Neal McLain (nmclain@annsgarden.com)
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:48:35 -0500

James Carlson <james.d.carlson@sun.com> wrote:

> RJ-45 connectors are also commonly used for all sorts of
> serial links -- including async (using RS-232 levels),
> sync (often RS-422), and even telecom (such as DS-1).
> It's not just Ethernet.

JXM2119 didn't tell us what kind signal s/he's using. I inferred
Ethernet from the context of the question; if s/he has some other
signal in mind, perhaps s/he should let us know.

I agree that 8-position modular connectors can be wired for things
other than Ethernet; that's why my response to the original question
began with the word "if." But I don't agree with the use of the term
"RJ-45" to identify a connector. RJ45 is a USOC (albeit apparently
obsolete); not a connector.

Neal McLain

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Google Maps"
Go to Previous message: David B. Horvath, CCP: "Re: Philly Reveals Wireless Plan"
May be in reply to: JXM2119: "USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page