TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?

Re: USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?

nmclain@annsgarden.com
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:13:35 -0600

JXM2119 <jxm2119_AT_rochester.rr.com@syrcnyrdrs-01.nyroc.rr.com> wrote:

> I would like to buy/make a cable that will have a USB
> connector on one end and an RJ-45 on the other.

If by "RJ-45" you mean an 8-position modular connector wired to carry
an Ethernet circuit, you'll need an adapter such as Planet Technology
Corp. Model PT9500. I have two of these devices in service,
connecting oldish PCs (W98) to a Linksys router. They work great.

L-Com sells the adapter, including the software driver (3.5" floppy), for
$29.00. See http://tinyurl.com/6ddc3 .

> I'm not sure if it is as easy as cutting off a connector
> on the usb and just terminating the RX/TX/GND like you
> can do with a serial cable (DB-9).

Ethernet uses balanced circuits, whereas EIA-232 (formerly RS-232) and
EIA-574 (same voltages as EIA-232, but implemented with a DB-9
connector) use unbalanced circuits. It takes more than just a
different connector to make the transition between balanced and
unbalanced.

Neal McLain

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?"
Go to Previous message: Justin Time: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be in reply to: JXM2119: "USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?"