TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Compatibility

Re: Cell Phone Compatibility

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:36:11 -0800

John Levine wrote:

> It's good you asked, because your feeling is wrong.

> The Moto 120e is a dual-band CDMA phone, and is doubtless locked to
> work only on Verizon.

It won't be unless it was sold as a prepay phone. Verizon doesn't lock
their postpay phones.

> If you could unlock them, a big if, the CDMA phone would work with
> other CDMA 800/1900 carriers, many of of the second tier telco-related
> ones like Alltel. The GSM phone would work on other GSM networks,
> which in the US basically means Cingular (the part that didn't used to
> be ATTWS) and T-Mobile.

Alltel would activate it. US Cellular and Sprint wouldn't (they both
run CDMA). I don't know whether Western Wireless would or not (WW
also runs CDMA).

The flat-rate prepay providers (Cricket, MetroPCS, Northcoast PCS)
definitely won't. Like USCC and SPrint, they will only activate phones
they originally sold.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Verizon's Pitch Could Signal Local Cable War"
Go to Previous message: Chris Farrar: "Re: GSM-900"
May be in reply to: SmarSquid: "Cell Phone Compatibility"