TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Every Ten Days

Re: Every Ten Days

Choreboy (choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com)
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:29:17 -0500

Choreboy wrote:

> March 9, somebody from 877 467 3277 called. I answered on the second
> ring and they hung up. They did it again March 19 and March 29.

> A search engine turned up a coed 3,000 miles from here whose blog
> reported the same thing in November:

> " ... omg someone called me and then hung up ... here I got their
> number it's 1-877-467-3277 lol so if you wanna call and bitch at them
> do so."

> If she was annoyed that somebody didn't apologize for misdialing, it's
> hard to imagine that instead of dialing back immediately, she would
> have thought it over and asked those who saw her blog to harass the
> caller. It's easier to believe that because she has a blog, the
> company offered her a commission for anyone who called in her name.

> I suspect that people all over the country are receiving these hang-up
> so some will call back to bitch because if these calls are logged,
> their names can be sold on a list of people who, according to
> somebody's interpretation of the law, are fair game for telemarketers.

> I hesitate to call the toll-free number, but I don't want to keep
> running to answer the phone for a company that intends to hang up on
> me. What should I do?

> Choreboy

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That telephone number 1-877-467-3277
> belongs to 'Sears Home Improvement Products'. PAT]

Thank you. How did you find out?

It seems strange that they've hung up on me every time they called,
and the California blogger reported the same thing. Could dialing
that number establish a "business relationship" with the telemarketer?
Would it be safer to complain by some other channel?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The way I found out was by using a
phone line *not associated with myself* letting it ring until a woman
answered (I did it twice to make sure that 877-467-3277 was answered
'Sears Home Improvement Products' both times) then I chose to belch in
a rather noisy, obscene manner each time before disconnecting.

Considering the dump I live in, which is likely as not to blow down or
away in a Kansas tornado sometime, I did not see where Home
Improvements could be of any use, at least not if _I_ had to pay for
them, which is what, I suspect, the woman at 877-467-3277 had in mind
for me. PAT]

Go to Next message: Dave Garland: "Re: Sprint PCS Vision Added to Open Relay DataBase"
Go to Previous message: Dave Garland: "Re: Every Ten Days"
May be in reply to: Choreboy: "Every Ten Days"