TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S

Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S

Fred Atkinson (fatkinson@mishmash.com)
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:52:56 -0500

> But cell phones are a curse to some degree. A local University that
> shall remain nameless instituted a no cell phone policy for students.
> That quickly went downhill when professors cell phones would ring during
> class time, etc.

That's nothing. Trevecca Nazarene University in Nashville, Tennessee
has an interesting policy to allow interconnect to the campus network.

When my first niece went off to school, several family members gave me
money to purchase the parts needed for me to put a nice computer
together for her to take off to school with her. In addition to a
number of other pieces of hardware, I put a dial up modem and a NIC
card in it. It was a fairly common one (in fact my PC has the same
model in it).

When she got there, she called me and said that the folks at TNU said
her NIC card was no good and they wanted to charge her ninety dollars to
install a 3Com card in it.

I didn't believe it was defective and told her not to pay them to
install that card. After a couple of days, she called me again and
told me that they wouldn't hook her up until a 3Com card was
installed.

I called the I.T. department at TNU and asked what was going on. I
was told that the school policy said that only 3Com NIC cards could be
used to connect to the campus network. Needless to say I was a little
upset that they were going to make me drop another ninety dollars into
that computer.

But, I wasn't going to let them get the money. I called around and
found a deal on a 3Com card and had them ship it to her at school.
Fortunately, she had a classmate that was a Saturday afternoon PC
tech. He installed it for her and got her connected to the network.

I spoke to the dean at the school where I was taking computer
networking classes. He told me that while this was completely
unorthodox, that TNU was far from being the only school doing
something so ridiculous. His own daughter went to a school that
required a specific brand (and I don't remember what he said it was
except that it wasn't a 3Com card). She had to fork out fifty dollars
for the card and sold it to another student when she graduated.

I wish someone in a position to do so would blow the whistle on this
practice of soaking the students for the money for these cards. It's
unethical at best.

Fred

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Other than the fact that she apparently
was not able to hook herself up to the network, I wonder how the
school would know what was or wasn't there. In other words, if she now
were to open the computer and install the original card in there
instead, how would the school ever find out, or do they search dorm
rooms looking for contraband hardware, etc? PAT]

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Communications Companies Form Network Security Alliance"
May be in reply to: donestuardo@yahoo.com: "Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"