TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
24 Mar 2005 10:02:28 -0800

John Levine wrote:

> The potential for privacy problems is severe, but to their credit I
> don't think I've ever heard reports of abuses. Besides the
> possibility of tracking people by tag use, there's the violation
> tracking issue. If you drive through an E-ZPAss booth in NY with no
> tag or an invalid tag, a camera takes a picture of your car and they
> will ask the state DMV to look up the license plate number so they can
> send you a ticket.

The original private contractor for the NJ EZP system was notoriously,
sending out many violation notices that weren't deserved. That
strongly discouraged motorists from adopting EZP. Of course, now the
NJTpk intends to eliminate the EZP discount, which is a stupid move
since it removes the incentive for motorists to use EZP, esp
occassional drivers. Result is more overcrowding in cash lanes.

Go to Next message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Dangling Broadband From the Phone Stick"
Go to Previous message: Jon Gauthier: "Re: Mobile IP Networks"
May be in reply to: Wesrock@aol.com: "Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"