TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Vonage Number Portability

Vonage Number Portability

John Schmerold (john@katy.com)
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:48:09 -0600

We had problems with Vonage, so I thought "Let's give Callvantage a
shot".

I put in our order, a week later, I get a note from ATT stating that
they could not port my number, so I phone ATT. They tell me they
cannot use number portability to transfer a number from Vonage, if I
want to move my number to Callvantage, I'll need to port it back to
SBC, then move it to ATT from SBC.

Hmmm, now I've heard everything. Anyone know of a way around this BS ?

If the VOIP can transfer numbers from SBC, it seems to me that fairness
would dictate that they must transfer the number to any wireless,
landline or VOIP carrier I choose.

John Schmerold
Katy Computer & Wireless
20 Meramec Station Rd
Valley Park MO 63088
636-861-6900 v
775-227-6947 f

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But, by the terms of this 'fairness'
you speak about, according to AT&T, Vonage will port the number back
to SBC on your request. What I have heard, but will not vouch for, is
that there is some technical hangup at present involved with porting
a number between two VOIP services. Its not that they will not, but
that for some technical reason they _cannot_ move the number directly.
Any other comments on this? PAT]

Go to Next message: Jack Decker: "WQN, Inc. Announces the Introduction of RocketVoIP"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Former WorldCom CEO Guilty on All Counts"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Vonage Number Portability"
May be reply: Randal Hayes: "Re: Vonage Number Portability"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page