TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!

Re: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!

Lisa Minter (hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com)
9 Mar 2005 07:18:27 -0800

Japple wrote:

> I just moved to a new house and I tried` getting the phone line set up,
> and no dialtone. So SBC sent someone out and they said that of the
> four jacks in the house, three were shorted out ... it's an older
> house and he couldn't figure out where the short was. (except at $55
> per 20 minutes)

That's a common problem. Either it's a full short, or worse, an
intermittent break or leakage which degrades voice quality and hurts
dial up computer use.

I'm not an expert, but I'd say wiring technique is more critical today
than in the past for plain voice service because data transmission is
much more sensitive to things like crosstalk or interwire capacitance
or plain old static. Perhaps another reader could offer suggestions.

My recommendation is to abandon all old phone wiring and rewire the
house using modern standards that will give the best quality for high
speed data transmission and multi-line phone service. Others can give
tips on the best way to do this.

When we needed new wiring, we had the phone company do it for us. Not
cheap but reliable. I presume a qualified electrician familiar with
modern phone requirements could do so as well, possibly cheaper.

Go to Next message: Allen McIntosh: "Re: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!"
Go to Previous message: HorneTD: "Re: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!"
May be in reply to: Japple: "Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!"