TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!

Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!

Japple (spam_me_to_hell@yahoo.com)
8 Mar 2005 23:34:49 -0800

Hello,

I just moved to a new house and I tried getting the phone line set up,
and no dialtone. So SBC sent someone out and they said that of the
four jacks in the house, three were shorted out ... it's an older
house and he couldn't figure out where the short was. (except at $55
per 20 minutes)

The three lines ran into the crawl space, and I don't know how they
were spliced. He was able to get one line working, but the other three
are dead. Now, I'm stuck, either trying to figure out where the
shorts are or rewiring the other three jacks ...

I just don't understand how three lines were shorted when the previous
owners just moved out. Because they did previously have service!
What's the best way to figure out where the short is?

Any ideas?

If I do rewire the other jacks, and run new cable, the SBC guy
recommended running all new wires, one wire per jack to get the best
connection ... what do you think about this? And how do I connect four
wires to the phone box? connect them each directly, or splice them
right to the main two wires that are already connected?

Thanks.

Go to Next message: LB@notmine.com: "Re: Ohio Law Would Require Auction License for eBay Sellers"
Go to Previous message: Ben: "Vari, Varo and Varc -parameters for Ericsson MD110 BC9"
May be reply: HorneTD: "Re: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!"
May be reply: Lisa Minter: "Re: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!"
May be reply: Allen McIntosh: "Re: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page