TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Suggestions Wanted for Router

Re: Suggestions Wanted for Router

T. Sean Weintz (strap@hanh-ct.org)
Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:14:52 -0500

Fred Atkinson wrote:

> I need to get another router for my home Cisco lab and I was hoping
> that someone could suggest which would be a best choice.

> I'd prefer it be rack mountable (one rack unit high). It needs to
> have at least one (preferably two) fast ethernet ports. It must
> support trunking (both dot1q and isl) so that it can be interfaced to
> a switch.

> Cost is a factor (since it's for home Cisco lab use). If knew what
> was a best choice, I could possibly track one down on Ebay.

> I currently have three 2501s. Each has a transceiver, but those won't
> support trunking for my lab assignments. I'll likely sell one of them
> when I get this one.

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

> Fred

LOL ... Good thing you said it was for your "Cisco lab" -- I was about to
suggest a Nortel ARN as a good low priced option. Last brand I usually
recommend to folks is Cisco. I for usually reccomend Juniper or Bay
Networks(aka:Nortel) in that order. If they ask for a third choice, I
tell 'em Riverstone <G>. Cisco is overpriced underperforming junk, IMO.

Go to Next message: Paul A Lee: "Re: Shut The Cell Up"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Suggestions Wanted for Router"
May be in reply to: Fred Atkinson: "Suggestions Wanted for Router"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page