TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Use Coming for Airbus Fliers

Re: Cell Phone Use Coming for Airbus Fliers

Marcus Didius Falco (falco_marcus_didius@yahoo.co.uk)
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:15:03 -0500

Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> commented on Re: Cell Phone Use
Coming for Airbus Fliers on Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:48:51 -0800:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 02:48:44 -0500, Marcus Didius Falco
> <falco_marcus_didius@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> And before anyone gets upset GSM 800 is the same thing as GSM 850.
>>> For some reason unknown to me when GSM was introduced to use on
>>> cellular networks it was decided to call it GSM 850 even though it
>>> uses the same transmit and receive frequencies as other cellular
>>> technologies such as CDMA or TDMA (IS-136.)

>> The official definition, found at
>> http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/glossary.shtml
>> says that 850 and 900 are different:

> Well, yeah! But GSM 850 and 800 are the same thing as I said in my
> first post.

Since there are no references to GSM 800 in the official documents
(hence, it doesn't exist), I figured it was a typo for GSM 900.

In any event, there is no carrier in the world claiming to provide GSM
800 service.

> John Levine wrote:

>> Some North American GSM phones also do 900 or 1800 for people who
>> travel to Europe. My wife's Moto V220 does 1800. My old Moto
>> Timeport did 1900/900/1800 until I ran it through the washing machine.

> I've seen some phones referred to as "world phones" -- I assume that
> is what you're describing.

Yes.

Go to Next message: Choreboy: "Re: Telemarketing?"
Go to Previous message: Carl Moore: "Bill Hanhardt, Former Cop"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Cell Phone Use Coming for Airbus Fliers"