TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: ADSL and SDSL?

Re: ADSL and SDSL?

Dean (cjmebox-telecomdigest@yahoo.com)
17 Feb 2005 11:10:38 -0800

Robert Bonomi wrote:

> In article <telecom24.70.8@telecom-digest.org>,
> T. Sean Weintz <strap@hanh-ct.org> wrote:

>> Robert Anderson wrote:

>>> Do you more reliably get the higher bandwidth with SDSL than with
>>> ADSL?

>>> For example, is the CIR higher with SDSL?

>>> We are a very small business using VoIP and our connection is
>>> ADSL. People have problems hearing us but not the other way around.

>>> We were thinking of switching from ADSL over to SDSL, to see if that
>>> helps.

>>> Robert Anderson

>> ADSL is asymmetrical

> *not*necessarily*

>> SDSL is symetrical

> *not*necessarily*

> As "commonly deployed", SDSL has same speed up and down, and ADSL has
> mis-matched (almost invariably higher in the 'down' direction) speeds.

> However, I have had "symmetric rate" ADSL, and "Asymmetric rate" SDSL,
> service, at various times, from various providers. Not terribly
> common, but such services do/did exist. :)

Can you elaborate? I thought the 'A' in ADSL and the 'S' in SDSL stood
for asymmetrical and symmetrical respectively. What you're describing
seems to negate that doesn't it? What am I missing?

Go to Next message: Ankur Shah: "Re: Another Rejection Number (was Re: Detroit: America's Rejection)"
Go to Previous message: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.: "Re: A Silly Question - 2-Line Phone With One Phone Number?"
May be in reply to: Robert Anderson: "ADSL and SDSL?"