TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Leading Zeros?

Re: Leading Zeros?

William Warren (william_warren_nonoise@comcast.net)
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:32:15 -0500

AES wrote:

> I've just encountered an annoying hassle where proper handling of
> archival bibliographic data requires keeping track of leading zeros in
> ID numbers; and these seem like informed groups to ask if anyone has
> comments or observations on other electronic or online systems that
> require or even allow leading zeros?

> Specifically the Am Phys Soc now identifies articles not by volume and
> page numbers but by volume and a six-digit "article number" which
> sometimes does and sometimes does not have an initial zero -- but if
> it does you _must_ keep it for various bibliographic and online
> citations to work properly. A few quick tests show that the default
> behavior is to automatically and irretrievably discard leading zeros
> on integer numbers keyed into an Excel worksheet cell or a Mathematic
> list. One of my bank accounts prints my account number with three
> leading zeros, but won't accept them in the Account Number field for
> online login. On the other hand for another ID card I have, you
> _must_ type the leading zeros.

> Are there any kind of published refs or computer standards or human
> interface guidelines on the use of leading zeros? ZIP codes use 'em,
> phone numbers don't?

In a spreadsheet, simply format the column as "Text", and the leading
zeroes will be entered unchanged.

If you are using a computer program to retrieve data, consult the
programming menu for the field definition which is equivalent to text.

HTH.

William

(Filter noise for direct replies.)

Go to Next message: Barry Margolin: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
Go to Previous message: Brad Houser: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be in reply to: AES: "Leading Zeros?"