TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Leading Zeros?

Leading Zeros?

AES (siegman@stanford.edu)
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:10:15 -0800

I've just encountered an annoying hassle where proper handling of
archival bibliographic data requires keeping track of leading zeros in
ID numbers; and these seem like informed groups to ask if anyone has
comments or observations on other electronic or online systems that
require or even allow leading zeros?

Specifically the Am Phys Soc now identifies articles not by volume and
page numbers but by volume and a six-digit "article number" which
sometimes does and sometimes does not have an initial zero -- but if
it does you _must_ keep it for various bibliographic and online
citations to work properly. A few quick tests show that the default
behavior is to automatically and irretrievably discard leading zeros
on integer numbers keyed into an Excel worksheet cell or a Mathematic
list. One of my bank accounts prints my account number with three
leading zeros, but won't accept them in the Account Number field for
online login. On the other hand for another ID card I have, you
_must_ type the leading zeros.

Are there any kind of published refs or computer standards or human
interface guidelines on the use of leading zeros? ZIP codes use 'em,
phone numbers don't?

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
Go to Previous message: Boat: "A Silly Question - 2-Line Phone With One Phone Number?"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Justin Time: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Brad Houser: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: William Warren: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Barry Margolin: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: AES: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: AES: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Barry Margolin: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Dave Close: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Matt B: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
May be reply: Jeffrey Mattox: "Re: Leading Zeros?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page