TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat

Re: Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat

Rich Greenberg (richgr@panix.com)
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:22:43 +0000 (UTC)

In article <telecom24.66.9@telecom-digest.org>, AES
<siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Your point is a *very good one*. I
> have even had some bozos (but in fairness, they are usually the
> sex purveyors) not let me leave at all, dumping one new window after
> another at me without any absolute way out short of recyling power
> on the computer. PAT]

Pat et al, the way to stop the popups short of a power cycle is to go
into "Network and dial up connections", right click on your lan
connection, select properties, and check the box ot the bottom of the
"general" tab labeled "Show Icon in Task Bar when Connected". Then OK
out.

This will add an icon that looks like two terminals to your task bar.
When you get hit with this popup flood, right click the icon and
select "Disable". Cuts off the source of the popups. Shut down all
browser instances. Now you can re-enable which can be done from the
"Network and dial up connections". To make this even easier, right
click on your lan connection, select "create shortcut" and click yes
to put it on the desktop. Move it to whereever you want and double
click to enable.

Go to Next message: Gordianus Finder: "Re: Old vs. New Doctors - Communication and Technology"
Go to Previous message: John McHarry: "Re: Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat"