TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat

Re: Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:36:34 GMT

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:41:50 -0800, AES wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Your point is a *very good one*. I
> have even had some bozos (but in fairness, they are usually the
> sex purveyors) not let me leave at all, dumping one new window after
> another at me without any absolute way out short of recyling power
> on the computer. PAT]

Change your browser to Firefox. Or stop going to such sites, but that
would be too extreme.

More seriously, anyone using IE should download and use Google's popup
blocker, or an equivalent. Given the plethora of IE exploits in the
wild, even CERT has advocated a move away. Firefox is the most popular
alternative, although there are others, notably Opera. As they gain
market share there will be attacks aimed at them, but they are more
recent re-implementations of the Mosaic browser that was the
grandpappy of them all. There is some reason to hope that their
security is due to more than obscurity, to couch a phrase.

Go to Next message: Rich Greenberg: "Re: Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat"
Go to Previous message: John McHarry: "Re: Powell Rips FCC Delay on Connection Fee Reform"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat"