TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines

Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:40:34 -0800

R Collinge wrote:

> "Verizon expects "that in the not-too-distant future that you will be
> able to get Verizon DSL without getting Verizon phone service," said
> Tom Tauke, Verizon executive vice president for public affairs and
> communications. "It's a technological issue, it's not a marketing
> issue."

Bull.

It's a marketing issue. It's a monopolistic
big-telco-doing-whatever-they-want-to issue. There is no technological
requirement for there to be a dialtone on the same line as DSL, and
no, I'm not talking about SDSL, I'm talking about ADSL which usually
must be bundled with POTS service.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: It would be very interesting if SBC
> decided to go the same way: DSL with no phone service requirements,
> but it is very unlikely; they just can't get their act together to
> accomplish that. PAT]

Heh. They'd love to do it. You could get DSL alone from SBC and they
could do whatever they want to with no fear of regulatory
repercussions -- because you can't complain to your state PUC about
unregulated data services. (Well, you can, but they won't do
anything.)

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

Go to Next message: Henry: "Re: National ID Card is Almost Ready For Us"
Go to Previous message: LonnyPaul: "Re: Cell Phone Lockdown"
May be in reply to: Charles Cryderman: "Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines"