TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Lockdown

Re: Cell Phone Lockdown

LonnyPaul (me@lonnypaul.com)
11 Feb 2005 19:36:49 -0800

The good thing is that now you can get lots of unlocked phones at
traditional retailers -- even like http://www.tigerdirect.com. They
seem to have an ever growing array of unlocked gsm cell phones. I
purchased several already, and aside from the fact that the original
language setting was to Japanese, I was quite happy to get some of the
best deals on any unlocked gsm phone at TigerDirect right now. Has
anyone else bought an unlocked phone from TigerDirect?

Michael D. Sullivan wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:19:28 -0500, Marcus Didius Falco posted the
> following to comp.dcom.telecom:

>> If memory serves (and it may not in this instance), there was, at one
>> time, an FCC rule or policy saying that cellular equipment could not
>> be subsidized from cellular service, the main reason that the cellular
>> carriers don't unlock.

> There has never been any such FCC rule or policy. I used to write the
> FCC's cellular rules and policies, and I've been dealing with 'em on the
> outside since then, so I'm quite sure. California used to have such a
> policy, but it was found unlawful long ago.

> Michael D. Sullivan
> Bethesda, MD, USA
> Delete nospam from my address and it won't work.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines"
Go to Previous message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Satellite Radio Authorization: How Does it Work?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page