TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates)

Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates)

BobT (fake@invalid.net)
Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:59:50 GMT

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:50:45 -0800, Mark Crispin
<MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote:

> That is not the case with PAL televisions in North America. Almost no
> televisions sold in North America and Japan have PAL. TVs sold in
> North America with PAL capable are grey market imports, not consumer
> goods.

Well, we recently got a Philips 30 inch LCD HDTV, at BestBuy in
Chicago, which is NTSC/PAL. I suppose the greymarket label may apply
to it, but it wasn't the only one they were selling with this
capability. It was made in the EU, which is unusual in these days of
everything coming from China. The NTSC tuner also works fine in it,
although we rarely use it, since the OTA STB we use incorporates both
ATSC and NTSC.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Comcast Exceeds One Million HDTV-Capable Set-Top Boxes"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page