TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans

Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:25:51 -0800

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:42:17 +0100, earle robinson <erobins@withheld
on request> wrote:

> If I call a 305 or a 917 area code I don't know if it is a cell
> phone or a landline one.

Why should you even care? The cost is the same whether you're calling
a cell phone or a land line.

> There are now plans here in Europe where calls are free in the evening
> and weekends, or to close friends or relatives, the same as in the
> states.

Maybe there are "plans" but it doesn't currently exist.

> Alas, there is the problem of the exorbitant charge levied on landline
> calls to cell phones, which is a scandal.

Well, that's a major reason why caller pays cell phones won't work in
North America. Where your average person in most of the US and all of
Canada expects a call to cost them *nothing* and all calls are
included with the monthly line rental cost. It'd take some convincing
for you to expect someone to call you on your mobile when such a call
could cost you three or four times the cost to make an international
call.

> Of course, given that virtually everyone has a cell phone, one is
> careful to use it when calling another cell phone and since those
> numbers have a different area code, this is an easy choice.

But you only have an advantage there is you call someone who is on the
*same* network as you. Otherwise you pay the same stiff price to call
a mobile as anyone else.

Go to Next message: Earle Robinson: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
May be in reply to: kansaskon: "America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"