TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: iPod Shuffle = New Radio ?

Re: iPod Shuffle = New Radio ?

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:08:43 -0800

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:02:19 -0500, LB@notmine.com wrote:

> Monty Solomon wrote:

>> Barry L. Ritholtz

>> I've been thinking about the iPod Shuffle since its introduction this
>> week. The early critique of the newest Pod is its lack of a readout or
>> screen -- even a small one -- to see what song is playing or up next.

>> The more I think about it, however, the more I think this (valid)
>> criticism is misguided. It misses the point entirely. The Shuffle
>> isn't supposed to be replacing a full featured MP3 player. Rather, it
>> is a substitute for a similar experience of getting music you know and
>> like -- on the radio.

>> Only you cannot do that anymore. McMusic dominates the airwaves,
>> preprogrammed from some fluorescent lit, over airconditioned,
>> windowless, soulless dreary office complex somewhere in the bowels of
>> Texas.

>> You can thank the 1996 telecommunication act for radio's massive
>> consolidation -- and really bad music on the radio.

>> The iPod Shuffle is yet more evidence of Radio's ongoing decline.
>> Recall we first discussed this last July in Radio's Wounded Business
>> Model. Barrons picked up the meme weeks later, running a very similar
>> criticism.

>> Where does that leave the fans of music, people who used to be
>> radio listeners?

>> The iPod Shuffle. Its the new radio.

>> http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/01/ipod_shuffle_ne.html

> Is there a way to have the shuttle play through car radio speakers?

Use one of those "broadcaster" type things that are also used to play
CD/MP3 players through your car radio. I believe it gives you several
places in the FM spectrum that you can tune it to the transmitter.

Go to Next message: Matt: "Re: 800 Number or 10-10"
Go to Previous message: Brian Inglis: "Re: iPod Shuffle = New Radio ?"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "iPod Shuffle = New Radio ?"