TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: SMS Security??

SMS Security??

bensmyth (noreply@test.com)
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:05:48 -0000

Hi,

When I send an SMS is it sent securely??

How can I be assured of this?? (What protocols, cryptography is used?)

Would the answer be the same if $1,000 were at stake? How about $10,000?
$100,000??

I've just discovered an old posting (Google Groups) of yours, see
below. Sorry to bring up such an old post!! But, did you ever
discover a solution/publish anything on the topic??

I'm currently looking to conduct my own research into the area, hence
looking around what is already in existence.

Regards,

Ben Smyth
University of Birmingham,
England

> From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
> Subject: SMS security over various networks?
> Date: 18 Dec 2000 13:59:15 -0500

> I'm trying to put together a white paper on the relative merits of
> text messaging security via SMS over the various cell networks: CDMA,
> GSM, AT&T's TDMA.

> I've found a number of links about voice security, but they're mostly
> fluff, and they never really mention whether the same
> algorithms/techniques apply to SMS when sent over the network.

> Can anyone give me some pointers? Even for-pay reports would be welcome
> at this point.

> Thanks,

> chris

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Caller pays, was Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt"
Go to Previous message: Marcus Didius Falco: "More on Verizon Blocks European Email by Default"
May be reply: Isaiah Beard: "Re: SMS Security??"
May be reply: David Clayton: "Re: SMS Security??"
May be reply: bensmyth: "Re: SMS Security??"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page