TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: More on Verizon Blocks European Email by Default

More on Verizon Blocks European Email by Default

Marcus Didius Falco (falco_marcus_didius@yahoo.co.uk)
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:13:32 -0500

* From Dave Farber's list

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:52:37 -0500
To: <dave@>
Subject: Re: [IP] Verizon blocks European email by default.

[For IP]

Dave:

The last time I checked, all of the companies providing internet
access (including Verizon) had terms in their contracts that
guaranteed the users "unlimited access to the internet" or words to
that effect. Spam blocking -- including blocking of port 25 --
violates such contracts.

I have no objection to SPAM blocking offered to users as a service.
Perhaps it should be offered as a no-charge service.

Involuntary disruption of traffic is quite another matter.

Also, I would be curious if someone more knowledgeable than I might
comment on whether this wouldn't breach Verizon's ability to appeal to
common carrier defenses against liability? If it does, then Verizon
*may* have just became liable for carrying, say, Kazaa traffic ...

Jonathan Shapiro

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:29 -0500, David Farber wrote:

> From: "Trei, Peter" <ptrei>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:10:39 -0500
> To: <dave@>
> Subject: Verizon blocks European email by default.

> For IP, if you wish.

> Verizon has taken to blocking all email from Europe, in an
> attempt to reduce spam.

> Quote from Verizon to Wired: "If it's really important
> you might want to make a phone call."

> Peter Trei

------ End of Forwarded Message

Go to Next message: bensmyth: "SMS Security??"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "Major US ISP Refusing European E-Mail Attempts"
May be reply: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: More on Verizon Blocks European Email by Default"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page