TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Real Election Reform

Real Election Reform

Chris Farrar (cfarrar@sympatico.ca)
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:06:28 -0500

rob51166@yahoo.com wrote on Re: Real Election Reform on
9 Jan 2005 08:08:01 -0800

> We still use the old 'X in a box' method here in the UK on our ballot
> papers and, depending on which election/referendum we're having
> (local, national or European) and the amount of candidates taking
> part, the ballot paper can be up to 18" (that's right, 1' 6") long.

Depending on where you vote in the US, that paper ballot would then
have to be up to 6' (yes, 6 feet) or more long.

While the presidential election is the one everyone follows, there is
more on the ballot that "Bush/Kerry". You have to pick senators,
sheriff, judges, district attorney, dog catcher, and garbage man.
Plus any referendums that make it onto the ballot.

One radio station revealed that the absentee (mail in) ballot for a
suburb of Chicago was 20 (yes twenty!) pages long.

Chris

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Real Election Reform"
Go to Previous message: (no name): "Re: Real Election Reform"
May be reply: George Mitchell: "Re: Real Election Reform"
May be reply: rob51166@yahoo.com: "Re: Real Election Reform"
May be reply: Ben Bass: "Re: Real Election Reform"
May be reply: (no name): "Re: Real Election Reform"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Real Election Reform"
May be reply: David Clayton: "Re: Real Election Reform"
May be reply: rob51166@yahoo.com: "Re: Real Election Reform"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page