TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Long Distance From Next Door

Long Distance From Next Door

Fred Atkinson (fatkinson@mishmash.com)
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:19:01 -0500

My father lives in Chapin, South Carolina. I recently got his
telephone service switched over to Vonage. As Vonage does not have an
exchange in Chapin (and since all Chapin exchanges are local to the
Columbia, SC area), we got a Columbia, SC number for him to use.

Last week, his next door neighbors complained that when they dialed
his number they got a recording telling them to dial 'one plus the
area code and the number'. I used their telephone to dial his number
as seven digits and got the same thing. Vonage's exchange in the
Columbia area is 233. The neighbors had a number in the 945 exchange.

I called Vonage. Turns out that this 945 number is not a Chapin
number but something else entirely. I'm trying to figure out why this
retired couple has a number that apparently isn't local to the
Columbia calling area.

Have been punching around the Internet trying to find out where this
number is housed. So far, no luck.

Anybody got any ideas on this weird arrangement?

My father used to call my Vonage phone from Chapin on his old Bellsouth
line. My phone is also on Vonage's 233 exchange. He did not have to dial
long distance to do it.

Regards,

Fred

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: Western Electric: What is This Device?"
Go to Previous message: Diamond Dave: "Re: AT&T Recordings: Synthesized or Actual Person?"
May be reply: desafinado: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Stanley Cline: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Fred Goldstein: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Linc Madison: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Carl Navarro: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Rick Merrill: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Long Distance From Next Door"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page