TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Is 'Transitional Fair Use' The Wave Of The Future?

Re: Is 'Transitional Fair Use' The Wave Of The Future?

BobGoudreau@withheld
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:58:26 -0500

[Please make sure my email address is removed from both this message
and from the issue's table of contents. Thanks]

Dave Close wrote:

> When CNN first started Headline News, back before Gulf War One, they
> were still a bootstrap operation and very short of money HLN used a
> single anchor and no remote correspondents. Video was bought from
> local stations and presented with the anchor's voice-over. That was
> much less expensive than the present programming.

I think this overstates the situation slightly.

When my family first got cable TV in the summer of 1982 (almost 9
years before the Kuwait war), I remember that it included two separate
24-hour news stations. One was CNN, which was already starting to make
its mark, though not yet as famous as the aforementioned war would
eventually make it. The other was its new sister station called
"CNN2", which had been launched at the beginning of that same year,
and wouldn't be renamed to "CNN Headline News" until the following
year. It was clear from the start that CNN2's role in life was to be a
summary-serving companion for its big brother. It's true that there
was a single anchor at a time, but its content came (as it still does)
from CNN. Of course, some of that content was (and is) purchased from
other news sources, including local news teams, but even back then,
CNN did have correspondents of its own.

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Speaking of Giving up Landline For Cellphone"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Is 'Transitional Fair Use' The Wave Of The Future?"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Is 'Transitional Fair Use' The Wave Of The Future?"