TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Strange Wireless Problem

Re: Strange Wireless Problem

J.P. Wing (jwing@dreamscape.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:36:01 -0500

A User <serge-newnew2715@mailblocks.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:29:11 -0500, Matt B. <redacted@giganews.com>
> wrote:

>> Hello all,

>> I'm having a strange problem and I hope you can help ... A few
>> co-workers are using wireless-enabled laptops. They are able to
>> receive e-mail from the POP3 server, but are unable to send. They get
>> the error "The server has timed out ... might be server problems,
>> etc.." If they plug in to a wired connection, it works fine.
>> Everyone is using Outlook 2000 or 2003. It doesn't matter where they
>> are using the wireless connection -- at home, at the office, at
>> great-grandma Edna's ... it all does the same thing ... and we are at
>> a loss! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

>> Thanks,

>> Matt B.
>> e-mail: moc.oohay@02091bttam <--Blocked...reverse it

> You need to use the SMTP server of the the ISP you are on, or it will
> be blocked. This is normal antispam behaviour.

There are some SMTP servers that let users authenticate with username
and password, basically granting them access from anywhere.

I have a Powerbook and a .Mac subscription and use it all over the
place, and I am able to send mail over my .Mac connection no matter
where I am. Perhaps MSN/Hotmail offers a similar solution for Windows
users.

J.P. Wing

Go to Next message: Mark Atwood: "Re: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (Celling Your Soul)"
Go to Previous message: Charles G Gray: "Re: What Exactly Did "Telstar" Do?"
May be in reply to: Matt B.: "Strange Wireless Problem"