TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Dave Close (dave@compata.com)
10 Dec 2004 22:26:10 -0800

Rick Merrill <RickMerrill@comTHROWcast.net> writes:

> You wired it up wrong, and I'll try to say why. It should be
> Modem<>TelephoneAdapter<>Router<>PC

> Then the TA does "QOS"(quality of service) to reduce the through put
> so that voice quality is maintained (downloads via the router are
> slowed). Also, it means that you do not have to enable DHCP on the
> router unless you want it.

Your system may work for some folks, so long as the TA has two jacks.
But not for everyone. I have a static address and my provider does no
DHCP, so they could not give an address to a TA. My DHCP server is
inside my LAN, not on the router, and the router blocks DHCP requests
from outside. So there is no way I could put the TA between my router
and the network as it would be unable to acquire an address.

When I asked Vonage about this situation, their response was that QoS
doesn't work anyway, so just put the TA inside. I did and it works fine.

Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Politics is the business of getting
dave@compata.com, +1 714 434 7359 power and privilege without
dhclose@alumni.caltech.edu possessing merit." - P. J. O'Rourke

Go to Next message: Dave Close: "Re: FAX vs VOIP"
Go to Previous message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: How to Call from A to B to C? Please Help"
May be in reply to: Ringo Langly: "Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"