TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Automatic Number Identification (ANI) Service

Automatic Number Identification (ANI) Service

Michael Quinn Michael (quinnm@withheld)
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:27:26 -0500

Please withold my email address and organization, ok to use my name.

Someone was recently enquiring about ANI. By coincidence a few days
ago, I came across a toll-free ANI service, although that is perhaps
not the the intended purpose. The following number appeared on my
caller ID at home, possibly in conjunction with a blood drive or
telemarketing call:

(866) 849-3243

When I called the number to see who it was, it was an automated "voice
messaging center" (no further info was provided) which gives an option
to be removed from their call list. If that option is selected, it
reads back the number from which one is calling. Worked from home as
well as inside an ISDN PABX at my office. Who knows how long it will
be in service, so TD subcribers may wish to take advantage of while
it's there.

Regards,

Mike

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thanks for this entry, Mike. And it
does two jobs for you at one time. It identifies the line you are
using, *AND* it eliminates your number from some telemarketing
program at the same time! Works for me! PAT]

Go to Next message: Marc: "How About Network Protection"
Go to Previous message: Bob Kester: "Packet8"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: Automatic Number Identification (ANI) Service"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page