TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: For $999, a Lifetime of Internet Phone Calls

Re: For $999, a Lifetime of Internet Phone Calls

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
8 Dec 2004 09:34:47 -0500

Tim Keating <NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1> wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:56:25 -0500, Lisa Minter

>> For $999, a lifetime of Internet phone calls

> Then kiss your money good by. You're betting that this Startup will
> still be a viable company in four to five years. Odds are at least
> to 5 to 1 against. You'll get better odds in Vegas, playing black
> jack.

No, you're betting that the startup will still be a viable company in
as long as it takes for you to break even. If you're currently
spending a hundred bucks a month on LD service, the company can
collapse in a year and you will still be ahead.

My question is how long it will be before the VoIP stuff transitions
over to an "internet phone" model, where your phone talks directly to
the other phone over the net when you make a call, with no
intermediary needed? As long as both phones are on the net and you
don't need a gateway to the POTS service, why should you spend
anything over the cost of your connectivity?

--scott

Go to Next message: No Spam: "CallerID Name was Re: Countering the "Lingo Sucks" Thread"
Go to Previous message: Ernie B.: "Re: Western Electric and Al Capone"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "For $999, a Lifetime of Internet Phone Calls"