TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: For $999, a Lifetime of Internet Phone Calls

Re: For $999, a Lifetime of Internet Phone Calls

DevilsPGD (devilspgd@crazyhat.net)
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:00:25 -0700

In message <telecom23.585.14@telecom-digest.org> kludge@panix.com
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> No, you're betting that the startup will still be a viable company in
> as long as it takes for you to break even. If you're currently
> spending a hundred bucks a month on LD service, the company can
> collapse in a year and you will still be ahead.

> My question is how long it will be before the VoIP stuff transitions
> over to an "internet phone" model, where your phone talks directly to
> the other phone over the net when you make a call, with no
> intermediary needed? As long as both phones are on the net and you
> don't need a gateway to the POTS service, why should you spend
> anything over the cost of your connectivity?

This already happens between VoIP customers (in most cases it goes
through the VoIP company's servers first, but it doesn't need to touch
the POTS network)

The main issue with direct user to user VoIP calls is maintaining a
phone number <--> IP database. FWD is one option, but unfortunately
it's not supported widely enough to be useful yet.

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Connecting VoIP Device to Home Wiring"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Lingo Voip Isn't Really Cheap"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "For $999, a Lifetime of Internet Phone Calls"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page