TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Sears and K-Mart

Re: Sears and K-Mart

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:48:36 -0800

Lisa Hancock wrote:

> 1) Security: It is in a blue collar neighborhood that while not the
> worst, it is not the best either. The cable company does have a
> public office, but it is very tiny and basially only a thick security
> window through which to transact business. I think both utilities are
> justifiably concerned about a patron being dangerous.

> 2) Consistency: I suspect Verizon chose to go to a region-wide policy
> of no visitors for operating consistency, important when training and
> supporting a large group of employees.

> 3) Cost: It may be cheaper to have contracted official payment agents
> rather than have company employees do it. Some such agents charge a
> fee to the payer. Years ago many people did not have checking
> accounts and needed this, today more people have such accounts (though
> not all.)

4) Your Verizon used to be Bell Atlantic, my Verizon used to be GTE?

Lisa Hancock wrote:

> 1) Security: It is in a blue collar neighborhood that while not the
> worst, it is not the best either. The cable company does have a
> public office, but it is very tiny and basially only a thick security
> window through which to transact business. I think both utilities are
> justifiably concerned about a patron being dangerous.

The Verizon Plus store, incidentally, is located in a middle-class
neighborhood, so crime isn't too much of an issue, although it's not
too far from a few other neighborhoods where it might be an issue.

Go to Next message: NoSpamForMe: "Re: Sears and K-Mart"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Telecom Bill Will Position Pennsylvania as National Leader"
May be in reply to: Lisa Hancock: "Sears and K-Mart"