TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Should I Put Cell Phone on National do Not Call List?

Should I Put Cell Phone on National do Not Call List?

Marcus Didius Falco (falco_marcus_didius@yahoo.co.uk)
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:44:32 -0500

Thanks Mike G. for finding this.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_cell_phone_directory.htm

Comments: While it's true that the major wireless phone providers
(with the sole exception of Verizon) have announced their intention to
compile a directory of customers' cell phone numbers, it isn't true
that they plan to "publish" said directory for all to see. The numbers
will be made available only if customers opt in, and will be
accessible only by those who call information and pay a fee.

Participating service providers swear the numbers will never be
available to telemarketers.

Not everyone believes that, however, as evidenced by a privacy
protection bill already introduced in Congress which would modify the
plan to allow 411 callers to be directly connected to requested
parties but would not allow those parties' numbers to be given out. It
remains to be seen precisely what form the cell phone "directory" will
ultimately take.

Meanwhile, the Federal Trade Commission does allow
http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=https://www.donotcall.gov/FAQ/FAQConsumersNew.aspx
worried cell phone users to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call
Registry the same one that is already in force for landlines either online
or by calling 1-888-382-1222 .

Online registration: www.donotcall.gov

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Lexmark Accused of Installing Spyware"
Go to Previous message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Sorry About the Explosion"
May be reply: Danny Burstein: "Re: Should I Put Cell Phone on National do Not Call List?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page