TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Mystery Phone Number Revisited

Mystery Phone Number Revisited

Salvatore Petrarca (spetrarca@vrindustries.com)
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:33:47 -0500

Mr. Townson,

Recently, I was contacted by a company/person with the phone number
(866) 383-0986. A google search lead me to the edition of your
newsletter referenced in the subject line. I attempted to contact Mr.
Covert (whom is in the same situation as I) via e-mail in order to give
him the information I gathered on the organization that had called both
of us. My e-mail, however was bounced back. I am not requesting
that you give me his e-mail address, I simply request that you forward
the following message to him, if at all possible.

--------------------------------

I recently recieved a call from the number 866-383-0986. A Google
search yielded the MIT document (located

with your transmission in it.

> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:28:15 -0400 (EDT)
> From: John R. Covert <nospam@covert.org
> Subject: Indian Telemarketing Shop Service-Monitoring Line?

> There's an interesting number on the caller-id of my fax line. The
> call disconnected with no fax received.

(866) 383-0986

> If you call it back, you get a recording with a distinctive Indian
> accent saying, "Please dial the extension number which you want to
> monitor."

> Hmmmmm.

> john

After doing some research, I came upon the following information:

Media Direct Marketing Consultants
1822 North Bend Drive
Knoxville, TN 37909
(866) 383-0986

I seem to remember "Media Direct" coming up in quite a few spyware
searches I've run. It's possible that by entering your fax number into
a textarea in a webpage, the spyware could have picked it up and sent
the information home, which is why they tried to "call" your fax
machine.

Have you been able to contact the company between the time you posted
the message and now?

Thanks,

Sal Petrarca

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Mr. Covert reads this Digest on
occassion so perhaps he will see your message here and respond. PAT]

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Employment Opportunity: Do You Know a Telco Maintenance Expert?"
Go to Previous message: charsand: "Re: Movie Studios to Sue Internet File Traders"
May be reply: John R. Covert: "Re: Mystery Phone Number Revisited"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page