TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: EFF: Anti-Spam Measures Block Free Speech

Re: EFF: Anti-Spam Measures Block Free Speech

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
18 Nov 2004 11:18:23 -0500

Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> wrote:

>EFF White Paper Reports on Collateral Damage to Free Expression in
>the Fight Against Spam

> = http://eff.org/news/archives/2004_11.php#002097
> = http://www.eff.org/wp/?f=SpamCollateralDamage.html
> = http://www.eff.org/wp/SpamCollateralDamage.pdf

This is undoubtedly one of the worst-written discussions on this
subject that I have encountered. Much as I respect the EFF, I think
they really need to get someone over there that understands the issues
today.

Currently, there are valid and legitimate ways to run opt-in mailing
lists. It's difficult. It's a lot of work. Mr. Townson can attest
to how much overhead is involved and the importance of careful address
confirmation.

The fact that the MoveOn crew didn't want to run a list properly, the
way everyone else has been doing for quite a few years now, this is
the issue. This is not a free speech issue by any stretch of the
imagination.

--scott -- "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Actually, I gave up on trying to
maintain a mailing list long ago. Part of it was my own personal
head problems after the brain aneurysm, but much of it was the huge
(and I am not just complaining) amount of spam and viruses coming
through. Now it is handled by majordomo, and either you follow its
instructions and get automatically added or deleted from the mailing
list or you stay in whatever mode you were in. PAT]

Go to Next message: Raymond C Martin Jr: "Re: TV Movie: Category 6 - Day of Destruction"
Go to Previous message: Ed Clarke: "Re: EFF: Anti-Spam Measures Block Free Speech"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "EFF: Anti-Spam Measures Block Free Speech"