TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Chechen Rebel Web Site Reopened

Re: Chechen Rebel Web Site Reopened

BobGoudreau@withheld
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:33:07 -0500

[As usual, please hide my email address.]

Henry wrote:

> Lisa Minter <lisa_minter2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> HELSINKI (Reuters) - A Web site used by a Chechen warlord to claim
>> responsibility for September's school siege in Russia has reopened,
>> one month after it was closed by the Finnish company that hosted it.

>> Finnish news agency STT reported Saturday that the site,
>> kavkavcenter.com, was now hosted on a Swedish server with a backup
>> in Finland

> Well, on Sunday at 1013 gmt I got

> "The specified server could not be found."

That's because either Lisa or Reuters made a typo. Having taken some
Russian in college, I was immediately suspicious of the link above, since
the Russian word for "Caucausus" transliterates to "Kavkaz", not "Kavkav"

And indeed, www.kavzazcenter.com comes up fine in my browser.

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC

[Lisa Minter responds: I am at a total loss at reading/translating
Russian. It would be easy to say Reuters made the error, but it might
have well been my mistake, and I apologize.]

Go to Next message: Paul A Lee: "Re: TV Movie: Category 6 - Day of Destruction"
Go to Previous message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Trial Shows How Spammers Operate (Lycos full version)"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Chechen Rebel Web Site Reopened"