TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Mark Roberts (markrobt@comcast.net)
Thu, 04 Nov 2004 05:18:03 -0000

Neal McLain <nmclain@annsgarden.com> had written:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But this area did not have cable TV
> (nor, for the most part) any over the air TV in 1954-55. Coffeyville
> had that *one* station (channel 4) over the air in that time period,

I don't see how that is possible with full-power stations on
channel 4 in Oklahoma City and in Kansas City. Low-power,
non-translator stations were not authorized until the mid-1980s.

Mark Roberts | "You'll know gas prices are hurting when you see headlines
Oakland, Cal.| about plunging sales of sport utility vehicles."
NO HTML MAIL | -- Floyd Norris, New York Times, October 23, 2004

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I *do not know for sure* they were on
channel 4 in the 1950's, or even that it was the same thing. I do
know in the 1950's I stayed for a few days with my cousins who (still
even today) live in Coffeyville. There was a 24 hour black and white
station which continuously showed weather dials and a clock; nothing
else. Neil McLain mentioned Coffeyville Junior College having something
on Channel 4 *today*. I _assumed_ it was the same thing. Thursday I am
going to call them and ask them (1) if they are on the air now, (2) if
they have a program guide (3) if they were on the air fifty years ago
doing continuous weather, etc. PAT]

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: How to Make The Right Call On Cell Plans"
Go to Previous message: Neal McLain: "Re: What Happened to Channel 1?"
May be in reply to: Andrea: "What Happened to Channel 1?"