TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon California Terminates ISDN, FX, Other Services

Re: Verizon California Terminates ISDN, FX, Other Services

Justin Time (a_user2000@yahoo.com)
1 Nov 2004 11:45:35 -0800

Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message

> Tim@Backhome.org wrote:

>> What useful purpose does ISDN serve these days?

> It's VERY useful, actually. Where I work, we have a number of
> Tandberg 6000's and Polycom FX devices scattered on a number of sites,
> and quite a few of them are hooked up to both Gigabit ethernet and 3
> bonded ISDN PRIs each. Videoconferencing is VERY big, even bigger now
> that businesses are trying to cut their travel expenses.

Oh, I'm sure you meant BRI rather than PRI.

> <<VERY BIG PAIR OF SCISSORS APPLIED>>

> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: So you are suggesting that ISDN makes
> a very good backup system in the case of emergencies? PAT]

In this country ISDN has almost always been targeted toward the
commercial user. The reason companies like XM and other broadcasting
companies use ISDN or at a minimum a 56K digital line for voice backup
is no static or loss of bandwidth because of distance.

Comparing the voice quality and bandwidth on ISDN and analog would be
similar to comparing an FM radio signal with an AM. Both have their
advantages, but the FM signal always will have better bandwidth and
carry more information than an analog AM signal. That's the reason
music stations have all but abandoned the AM airwaves -- music just
sounds better on FM. If the music sounds better because of the
increased bandwidth, wouldn't it have the same affects on voice?

Rodgers Platt

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Verizon California Terminates ISDN, FX, Other Services"
Go to Previous message: Lisa Minter: "VoIP Provider Presses FCC to Block Broadband Discrimination"
May be in reply to: Jeff Sutter: "Verizon California Terminates ISDN, FX, Other Services"