TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Home Phones Face Uncertain Future

Re: Home Phones Face Uncertain Future

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
31 Oct 2004 03:12:08 -0000

> What do land lines provide? Security. Predictable service. Almost
> unlimited bandwidth. ... Virtually every building in these towns
> are being rewired with direct fiber optic cables -- from CO to every
> building. That means VoIP, massive data transfers, security, the
> reliability not provided, yet, by cell phones, and a host of other
> yet to be discovered features.

Fiber has bandwidth, but unlike copper, it can't power the phones. An
important parts of the reliability of POTS is that the phones are
powered from the phone line, so you don't depend on the power company
or batteries.

John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711
johnl@iecc.com, Mayor, http://johnlevine.com,
Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

Go to Next message: Patrick Townson: "Last Laugh! Our Weekend Auto Trip"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Yet Another Telco Tax proposed"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Home Phones Face Uncertain Future"