TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns

Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns

J Kelly (jkelly@newsguy.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:56:58 -0500

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 01:18:22 +0000, bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

> WOI-TV was in operation _long_ before 'Iowa Public Television' came
> into existence. In point of fact, WOI-TV was the _first_ TV station
> in the state broadcasting on a regular schedule.

WOI was in fact on way before Iowa Public Television. IPTV began in
1969 when the State Educational Radio and Television Facility Board
purchased KDPS-TV (Des Moines Public Schools) Channel 11 in Des Moines
and changed the callsign to KDIN-TV. The network was known as Iowa
Educational Broadcasting Network (IEBN). Seven other stations
followed over the next 8 years, and one more was added in 2003 when
they acquired channel 36 in Davenport. In 1976 the name was changed
to Iowa Public Broadcasting Network, and was changed to Iowa Public
Television in 1982.

>>> WMT Cedar Rapids, Iowa

>> WMT(AM) and WMT-FM only; sister TV is KGAN(TV), formerly WMT-TV.

Yes, at one time sister stations, WMT AM is now owned by Clear
Channel, and Sinclair Broadcast Group owns KGAN-TV. I'm not sure if
they really consider themselves sisters anmore, I believe WMT AM uses
KWWL-TV's weather guys on the air.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: When you discuss WLTE or other 'W'
> stations in Minnesota, maybe the reason for the 'W' there is because
> the Mississipi River only begins part way into Minnesota; a bit south
> of St. Paul (or actually Bay City, WI) where the water is just a small
> stream and becomes known as the 'Mississippi River'. Most of Minnesota
> has nothing to do with the river. PAT]

Wrong. The Mississippi starts near Bemidji, Minnesota at Itasca State
Park. I once stood in the headwaters where it begins as a small
stream. See: http://www.visitbemidji.com/itasca_state_park.html

Go to Next message: Mark Roberts: "Re: Home Phones Face Uncertain Future"
Go to Previous message: Neal McLain: "Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns"
May be in reply to: Neal McLain: "'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns"