TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Last Laugh! Re: Boston's Big Rebound Makes a Winner of Fox, Too

Last Laugh! Re: Boston's Big Rebound Makes a Winner of Fox, Too

HorneTD (hornetd@mindspring.com)
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 02:31:06 GMT

Monty Solomon wrote:

> By RICHARD SANDOMIR

> It was the game that wasn't supposed to be televised because it wasn't
> supposed to happen. But you have to think that Fox was pleased and
> astonished that the Boston Red Sox had done the impossible in
> postseason: they had forced a seventh game after losing the first
> three of the American League Championship Series to the Yankees.

> Then the Red Sox took it one step further last night, beating the
> Yankees, 10-3.

> For Fox, it's too bad that Yankees-Red Sox league championship series
> aren't best-of-nine affairs. A ninth game might approach Super Bowl
> ratings levels.

> Game 6 produced a 15.6 Nielsen rating, or 25.1 million viewers, which
> made it the highest-rated nondecisive league championship series game
> in 13 years, Fox said, in spin that would gladden a break dancer.

> Even more fortunate for Fox is the type of television rabidity in the
> Boston market: 70 percent of those tuned to televisions in the center
> of Red Sox Nation were watching Game 6 (compared with 44 percent among
> New Yorkers).

> The last time the Red Sox were in the World Series -- 18 years ago
> against the Mets -- they generated a 28.6 rating, the best performance
> since 1981. Fox might now produce a new reality show: "My Big Fat
> Obnoxious Idiots."

> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/21/sports/baseball/21tv.html

What do you call twenty seven men watching the World Series on
television? Answer: The New York Yankees.

Tom H

Go to Next message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: 11-Sept Police Widow Gets Domain-Cyberburned"
Go to Previous message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: Sinclair: From Bad to Worse"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Boston's Big Rebound Makes a Winner of Fox, Too"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page